GPA Bolton Library
In the town of Cashel in southeastern Ireland is an outstanding collection of books in the GPA Bolton Library. The books were originally housed in the Cashel Palace by Archbishop William King who left 6,000 books to Theophilus Bolton in 1729 when he died. The collection grew to around 12,000 with the addition of Bolton's own books and left them all to the diocese. The library is now housed in the Chapter House on the grounds of the Cathedral Church of St. Patrick's Rock and St. John the Baptist.
The GPA Bolton Library collection is the finest outside of Dublin. It contains a wide variety of books including a 12th century manuscript called the Nuremberg Chronicle and works by authors such as Dante, Swift, Calvin, Erasmus, and Machiavelli. The library also has a manuscript copy of Geoffrey Keating’s history of Ireland, Forease Feasa ar Erin from 1716. There are several antique maps on display along with church silver and the smallest book in Europe.
The Bolton Library is located on John Street in Cashel. Entrance is 2 euros and by appointment only.