Until 1990, Customs House served as headquarters for the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service. Today, it is a popular meeting and gathering space. On the top floor, Café Sydney looks out over Circular Quay and is a great place for a fresh seafood meal, while the laid-back outdoor Quay Bar offers drinks and snacks. Free exhibitions are on regular display throughout the building, and the ground floor and library offer relaxed lounge areas, shared work spaces, and public-access computers.
Visits to Customs House are often included in architecture, history, and heritage-themed walking tours, which also give a sense of the European settlement of Sydney and its development into a modern city.
Things to Know Before You Go
Customs House is a must-visit for those with an interest in Sydney’s history.
Entrance to Customs House is free of charge.
There is free Wi-Fi throughout the building.
The building has ramp access and accessible elevators that reach all floors.
How to Get There
Customs House is in the heart of Circular Quay and close to many major hotels. It’s a 10-minute walk from Martin Place train station, 15 minutes from Town Hall train station, and five minutes from the Sydney Opera House.
When to Get There
The building is open daily. On weekdays from 8am to 12am; Saturday 10am to 12am, and Sunday 11am to 5pm. Restaurants and exhibitions keep slightly different hours, so check before you visit.
City Model Sydney at Your Feet
There’s a miniature replica of the city in a glass atrium under the first floor of the Customs House. The scale model depicts 3.9 square miles (10 square kilometers) of downtown Sydney and is upgraded yearly to reflect the ever-changing face of the city. City Model is even more striking at night when hundreds of fiber-optic lights illuminate the streets under your feet.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland
- White Bay Cruise Terminal (WBCT)
- Circular Quay
- Justice and Police Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- The Rocks
- Susannah Place Museum
- Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT)
- Nurses Walk
- Sydney Harbour
- State Library of New South Wales
- Parliament House
- Sydney Harbour Tall Ships
- BridgeClimb Sydney
- Observatory Park