Mt. Kosciuszko National Park
The park’s incredible natural beauty is a major draw for bushwalkers, kayakers and mountain-bike enthusiasts from around the region. It’s also an excellent place to try to spot some of the country’s rarest endangered animal species, such as the mountain pygmy possum or the Corroboree frog. Other attractions include whitewater rafting, horseback riding, the Yarrangobilly Caves, the Cooleman Caves and Tin Mine Falls. Eco-tours that go to the park are available for those who prefer not to explore independently.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The park is a must-visit for nature lovers, skiers, and hikers.
- Facilities in the park include campgrounds (most with showers), cafes, barbecue areas, and boat ramps.
- Pets are prohibited inside the park.
How to Get There
Mt. Kosciuszko National Park is located around 220 miles (354 km) southwest of Sydney or 124 miles (199 km) south of Canberra. By road, it takes at least six hours to reach from Sydney (or about two-and-a-half hours from Canberra). If you’re not visiting as part of a guided tour, you’ll need your own car to get to and around the park.
When to Get There
The park is a year-round attraction, so plan your visit depending on what kind of activities you enjoy. Camping, fishing, rafting, caving and kayaking are also popular activities during the warmer months, while in winter it's all about the snow—a great time to visit the ski resorts of Thredbo, Selwyn snowfields, Perisher and Charlotte Pass.
Summiting Mt. Kosciuszko Many people visit the park specifically for the opportunity to summit Mt. Kosciuszko There are two major ways to go about it. One is to hop aboard the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift up to Thredbo and do the rest of the 13-km (8-mile) hike on foot. For something a bit more challenging, the summit walk leaves from Charlotte Pass and covers 18.6 km (11.5 miles).
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland