Museum of Sydney
Life in Sydney isn’t all about the beach and surfing, but about culture as well. Located inside the walls of a majestic building from 1788, the former residence of Gov. Arthur Phillip, the Museum of Sydney informs visitors about the history of New South Wales’ capital in an entertaining way. The collection displays archaeological finds, utensils from the everyday life of the Aborigines and the first settlers, as well as documents and pictures about the development of Sydney to Australia’s largest city.
Multimedia presentations and computer animations bring the history of the former penal colony to life, and although the museum mostly informs guests about the city’s history, it also takes a critical look at the clash of cultures that happened between the Aborigines and European immigrants.
The museum's location in itself is deeply symbolic. It was here that in 1788, the Cadigal, a group of Aborigines inhabiting the area, and the English first encountered each other. The sculptures in front of the museum, called the “Edge of Trees,” accordingly symbolize the Cadigal looking on from the edge of the trees as Arthur Philip’s fleet anchored in the Bay of Sydney and hoisted the Union Jack to formally found the first British colony on Australian ground.
Museum of Sydney Tours
What are Museum of Sydney hours of operation?
Should I book Museum of Sydney tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Museum of Sydney 2021?
What's the best way to experience Museum of Sydney?
- Sydney Attraction Pass Including Taronga Zoo, Sydney Opera House, SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium
- Sydney Self-Guided Audio Tour
- Private Luxury Architectural Walking Half Day Tour
- Sydney Scavenger Hunt: Inside Sydney
Things to do near Sydney
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania