St. Mary's Cathedral
St Mary's Cathedral is one of Sydney’s oldest and grandest buildings. Built on land given to the Catholic Church during the earliest days of colonization (1820), the original church was almost completely destroyed by fire and later rebuilt in its current form. The building that stands on Sydney’s central College Street today was constructed from Sydney sandstone and is regarded as one of the finest examples of an English-style Gothic Cathedral in the world.
There are many notable architectural features in the Cathedral’s design, which was only fully realized 100 years after the architect William Wardell’s death. Most notable is the Cathedral’s local sandstone interior and façade, its beautiful stained glass windows (especially the three rose windows at the entrance and the huge chancel window), and the high central nave.
Don’t miss the Cathedral’s ornate crypt, which features a mosaic floor and an exhibition on the first Australian Catholics, which includes a detailed history of the Cathedral’s earliest beginnings.
Tours and tickets to Experience St. Mary's Cathedral
Should I book St. Mary's Cathedral tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit St. Mary's Cathedral 2021?
What's the best way to experience St. Mary's Cathedral?
- Sydney Sightseeing Bus Tour with Bondi Beach
- Sydney Half Day Highlights - Luxury Private Tour - Morning or Afternoon Avail
- Private Sydney Half Day Tour including Sydney Opera House and Bondi Beach
- Private Tour: Sydney City Highlights
Things to do near Sydney
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania