St. Mary's Cathedral
Due to its rich history and impressive architecture, St. Mary’s Cathedral is a staple of Sydney sightseeing tours. Visit the church as part of a Sydney walking tour, which offers a more intimate glimpse into the Harbour City, or on a private bus tour that comes with the flexibility to create your own itinerary. Tours typically also cover the historic area of The Rocks and Sydney Harbour, home to the iconic bridge and opera house.
Things to Know Before You Go
- St. Mary’s Cathedral is a must-visit landmark for Christian travelers and those interested in religious architecture.
- Following Sunday mass at 10:30am, the cathedral offers a free guided tour to groups of a minimum of 10 people.
- As the church is a place of worship, ensure you wear suitable clothing that covers the knees and shoulders.
- The cathedral is free to enter, however the crypt charges a small admission fee.
How to Get There
St. Mary’s Cathedral is located on the corner of College Street and St Mary’s Road in central Sydney, just across the road from Hyde Park. The closest train stations to St. Mary’s Cathedral are St. James, Museum, and Town Hall, all of which are a 10-minute walk from the landmark.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open from morning through evening throughout the week. Mass occurs thrice daily, except on Sunday when Mass is performed five times and regular service is held. St. Mary’s Cathedral is particularly atmospheric during Christmas, when choir and carol performances and special services are held regularly.
Churches in Sydney While St. Mary’s Cathedral is the biggest Christian structure in Sydney, the Harbour City boasts plenty of equally impressive buildings. Most notable are St. Patrick’s Church, located in the historic district of The Rocks and renowned for its ornate altar, and St. Andrew’s Church, characterized by its Gothic design and expansive stained-glass windows.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland
- Hyde Park Barracks Museum
- Royal Botanic Garden and The Domain
- Hyde Park
- 360 Bar and Dining
- Parliament House
- Australian Museum
- Art Gallery of New South Wales
- Sydney Tower Eye
- Sydney Tower Buffet
- State Library of New South Wales
- Pitt Street Mall
- Strand Arcade
- Queen Victoria Building (QVB)
- Sydney Central Business District
- Woolloomooloo Wharf