Toledo Alcázar (Alcázar de Toledo)
Given its size and imposing location, the Toledo Alcázar is unmissable in the UNESCO-listed city. First created as a Roman palace, once home to Holy Roman emperors and kings, and damaged and rebuilt following periods of conflict, the landmark is recognizable by its Renaissance facades and four lofty towers.
Check out the on-site Army Museum showcasing armor, medals, and historic exhibitions. The building also comprises the Infantry Academy and the Regional Library of Castile-La Mancha. Many city sightseeing tours stop by the Toledo Alcázar along with other top attractions. The Toledo City Card includes entry, as well.
Things to know before you go
- The Toledo Alcázar is a must for architecture lovers and those interested in military history.
- Admission to the Alcázar and Army Museum is free on Sundays and select public holidays, and on other days for children aged 18 and under.
- On-site amenities include a cafeteria and a gift shop.
- Though much of the site is accessible to wheelchairs, Toledo’s uneven paving and steep slopes can make navigation difficult.
- Take your camera—the building’s balconies are the perfect place for panoramic shots of the cityscape below.
How to get there
In the heart of hilltop Toledo, the Alcázar is reached by numerous local bus lines. If you’re driving, parking is available on-site. Toledo is about a 1.5-hour train trip from Madrid, and the Alcázar is roughly a 30-minute walk (or a quick drive) from the Toledo train station.
When to get there
The Alcázar is typically open every day except Monday and certain holidays.
Toledo’s Top Attractions
After visiting the Alcázar, head to the 13th-century Toledo Cathedral, considered a masterpiece of Spanish Gothic architecture. Additional highlights include the grand Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes, the Church of Santo Tomé, the Museo del Greco (dedicated to painter El Greco), and the Synagogue of El Tránsito
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Almeria
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Aragón
- Zocodover Square (Plaza de Zocodover)
- Mosque of Christ of the Light (Mezquita Del Cristo De La Luz)
- Church of Santo Tomé (Iglesia de Santo Tomé)
- El Tránsito Synagogue (Sinagoga del Tránsito)
- Toledo Jewish Quarter
- Santa María la Blanca Synagogue
- Victorio Macho Museum (Museo Victorio Macho)
- Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes (Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes)
- Consuegra Windmills
- Consuegra Castle