Place du Capitole Tours and Activities
Place du Capitole, a huge pedestrianized open space in the heart of Toulouse, serves as the main city square. Flanked by grand municipal buildings, the square includes the long neo-classical facade of Capitole, the city hall, built in the 1750s.Cafes also cluster around the edge of the massive square, which hosts outdoor markets and is floodlit at night.
Along with administrative functions, the pink brick Capitole building also houses the Théâtre du Capitole opera house, as well as the Salles des Illustres, which includes many 19th-century paintings of the city’s famous citizens.
On the square’s western side is a series of roofed arcades; look up as you stroll to see the history of Toulouse represented on the ceiling panels, from prehistoric times through today’s aeronautics industry.
Tours and Activities to Experience Place du Capitole
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine