Planning of the Pont Neuf (also known as Pont de Pierre and Grand Pont) started in 1542 but the bridge was not completely finished until 90 years later, in 1632. It served as one of the main crossing points over the River Garonne in Toulouse, linking the Old Quarter on the right bank with Place St. Cyprien on the left. The bridge is not symmetrical—one arch is wider than the others, which gives it an extra antiquated feel. The bridge can be crossed on foot or by bicycle and offers an interesting view of the city as well as a chance to explore the banks of the River Garonne. You can join a guided walking or bike tour of the city to learn more about the bridge and its history.
Things to know before you go
- The bridge is open to the public all year round.
- The bridge is wheelchair accessible.
- “Pont Neuf” actually means “new bridge”, despite the fact that it is now over 400 years old.
- The bridge leads to the Old Quarter of Toulouse where you’ll find the Saint-Sernin basilica and Toulouse cathedral.
How to get there
The Pont Neuf bridges River Garonne in the Old Quarter of Toulouse. It can be reached from Toulouse central train station easily, via a 10-minute taxi ride, 25 minutes on foot, or as part of one of the city’s cycle tours. Toulouse-Blagnac Airport is roughly 15 minutes away by car.
When to get there
The bridge is open to the public all year round. Toulouse has a mostly temperate, sunny climate. Spring or early autumn temperatures are the most pleasant; summer can be quite hot, making sightseeing less appealing.
Stroll Along the Garonne River
The Garonne River is one of the most important rivers of southwestern France. Sourced in the Spanish Pyrenees, it flows through many important cities in France including Toulouse and Bordeaux. It has been used as an important means of transport since before Roman times and also links up with the UNESCO World Heritage Site Canal du Midi. Cycling or walking along the river will offer up a different perspective on Toulouse.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Garonne River
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- Place du Capitole
- Les Abattoirs Museum
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)
- Fronton Wine Region
- Albi Cathedral
- Toulouse-Lautrec Museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec)
- Black Mountains (Montagne Noire)
- Cabardès Wine Region