Udaipur City Palace
The main part of the palace complex serves as the City Palace Museum, home to a collection of miniatures, weaponry, ceramics, paintings, inlay glass, antiques, and enamel works. Throughout the palace, the windows offer fantastic views of Lake Pichola, particularly when the water level is normal. The property also contains a luxury hotel (the Taj Fateh Prakash Palace) and a variety of small shops selling upscale souvenirs.
Most local tours stop by the Udaipur City Palace along with other top sights.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The palace is a must for history buffs and architecture fans.
- Wheelchair users may experience difficulty navigating the palace.
- Boat rides departing from the palace are available for a fixed fee.
- Cameras cost extra to take inside.
How to Get There
Situated at the far end of Chandpol Bazaar in the heart of the Old City, Udaipur City Palace is about a 2-minute walk from the Jagdish Temple. The Udaipur City railway station is around a 15-minute drive from the palace.
When to Get There
Typically open daily, the palace is a year-round attraction, though the temperatures in Udaipur are at their most pleasant in the cooler months (roughly November through February). Sound-and-light shows are held every evening, with slightly later start times in the hot spring and summer months.
While many travelers explore the primary museum only, it’s worth paying a little more to check out the Crystal Gallery, inside the Taj Fateh Prakash Palace. Marvel at the beautiful examples of European crystal, much of which was ordered in the late 1800s and left unboxed for more than a century. Along with vases, chandeliers, and other decorative items, you’ll see crystal tables and even a crystal bed.
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Jodhpur
- Things to do in Ahmedabad
- Things to do in Pushkar
- Things to do in Jaipur
- Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Things to do in Agra
- Things to do in Aurangabad
- Things to do in New Delhi
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Gujarat
- Things to do in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand
- Things to do in Pune
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Maharashtra