Barrio del Carmen Tours and Tickets
Situated in the ciutat vella, or old town, Valencia’s Barrio del Carmen is in many ways where you’ll encounter the soul of the Spanish coastal city. Once sandwiched between the 11th-century Muslim wall and the 14th-century Christian one, it’s a neighborhood packed with history, dating back over 1,000 years.
You can still see remnants of its distant past among El Carmen’s streets. The most impressive of these sights certainly includes the medieval towers, Torres de Quart and Torres de Serrano, both of which once belonged to the now-destroyed Christian wall. Then there’s the Portal de Valldigna (located on the street of the same name) that once served as the gate through the former Muslim wall to the Moorish and Jewish quarter. And the past also lives on in the district’s name, derived from the 13th-century Convent of Carmen, which is now a museum dedicated to the 19th century.
These days, El Carmen is hardly just about the past, though, as this barrio makes up arguably the most hip, trendy and bohemian in town. It’s home to a diverse population of people, and of course the mix of establishments that they frequent. As such, expect to find a healthy concentration of eclectic restaurants, shops, and especially bars since El Carmen is quite noted for its nightlife. The neighborhood is also blanketed by street art, ranging from colorful graffiti to wood installations, and message-filled murals that cover the sides of entire buildings.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Barrio del Carmen
- Institut Valencià d'Art Modern (IVAM)
- Quart Towers (Torres de Quart)
- Serranos Towers (Torres de Serranos)
- Valencia City of the Arts & Sciences (Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias)
- Turia Riverbed Gardens (Jardí del Túria)
- Silk Exchange (La Lonja de la Seda)
- Valencia Cathedral (Seu)
- Valencia Plaza del Mercado
- Plaza de la Reina
- Valencia Central Market (Mercado Central de Valencia)
- Admiral’s Baths (Baños Arabes del Almirante)
- Museum of Fine Arts (Museo de Bellas Artes de Valencia)
- Valencia Old Town
- Valencia Cruise Port
- House of San Vicente Ferrer