Schlosspark Schönbrunn (Schönbrunn Palace Garden)
Spanning almost 300 acres (more than one square kilometer), the Schlosspark Schönbrunn is considered one of the most beautiful gardens in Europe. The original baroque-style layout, along with the additions made during the last decade of Queen Maria Theresa’s life, have more or less been retained.
Highlights of the grounds include the ornate Obelisk Fountain, Gloriette, Privy Garden, Orangery Garden, and Desert House. Take in the gardens as part of a guided or independent tour of the Schönbrunn Palace or a larger Vienna city tour. You can visit on foot or purchase a ticket for the mini-train to take in the major landmarks without getting footsore.
Recent reviews from experiences in Vienna
Things to know before you go
- The gardens are free to enter, but some areas requires a separate ticket.
- The grounds are vast and open to the elements, so wear comfortable footwear and dress for the weather.
- Kids have ample space to explore the grounds, in addition to a marionette theater and zoo to visit nearby.
- There are eateries, restrooms, and gift shops located inside the palace grounds.
- The palace offers wheelchair rental, and most of the gardens are wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
The Schlosspark Schönbrunn is located next to the Schönbrunn Palace on the outskirts of Vienna. Take the metro line U4 (get off at Schönbrunn), tram 10 or 60, or bus 10A to reach the palace and gardens.
When to get there
The gardens are open each day from early morning to sunset, though are best appreciated from late spring through early fall when the weather is mild and the flora is in full bloom. Visit on a weekday to avoid the crowds.
Vienna’s Schönbrunn Palace
This palatial imperial residence was built in a baroque style at the end of the 17th century, and became the focal point of lavish court life during the reign of Maria Theresa in the 18th century. Today visitors can tour the interiors to admire sumptuous frescoes and stucco work, fine furnishings, and original architecture.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Schubert Sterbewohnung
- Haus des Meeres - Aqua Terra Zoo
- Third Man Museum (Dritte Mann Museum)
- Imperial Furniture Collection (Hofmobiliendepot)
- Leopold Museum
- Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
- Vienna Secession
- Museum Quarter (MuseumsQuartier)
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK)
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- WestLicht Center for Photography
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)