Explore our promoted experiences
- Full-day tour of the Kerlingarfjöll Highlands from Akureyri
- Explore the Kjölur highlands and Hveravellir geothermal area in a 4x4
- Take a dip in the naturally warm waters of the Hveravellir hot springs
- Marvel at the spectacular landscapes of the Kerlingarfjöll Highland Resort
- Great-value tour includes hotel pickup and round-trip transport
- Small-group tour limited to four people ensures a personalised experience
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Journey through the dramatic landscapes of the Kerlingarfjöll Highlands, following the Kjolur route between the Langjökull and Hofsjökull glaciers, and stopping along the way to admire the views and take photos. Hop out to visit the geothermal area of Hveravellir and learn more about the region’s unique geology as you walk across the ancient lava fields, past smoking fumaroles and bubbling mud pools. At the Hveravellir hot springs, take time to bathe in the natural warm waters and relax as you gaze out over the Kjalhraun lava field and Langjökull glacier.
Continue to the Kerlingarfjöll highland resort, where you can refuel with lunch (own expense) at a local restaurant and marvel at the highland vistas – a spectacular panorama of multi-colored rhyolite mountains, glacial passes, ravines, and snowdrifts.
After an unforgettable day in the highlands, return to Akureyri, where your tour ends with drop-off at your hotel around 8pm.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Bring along sturdy walking shoes, swimsuits and a towel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Star Travel Iceland
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff