- Explore the basilica independently and see its 12th-century carving of the Black Virgin
- Enjoy spectacular views from the Montserrat mountains
- Relax with transportation by deluxe air-conditioned coach
- Tasting of four typical liquors made by the resident monks
Departure & Return
ground floor, platform 19.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
As you travel, pass through scenic villages and hear tales from your guide about Montserrat’s main claim-to-fame—the magnificent Royal Basilica and Monastery of Montserrat. The mountainside church and Benedictine abbey is best known for its Black Madonna (La Moroneta), a statue of the Virgin Mary that has made it one of Spain’s most popular pilgrimage sites for centuries.
Admire the epic landscapes as you ascend the mountain, and on arrival, take in the views over the countryside and Barcelona. Then, after an introduction to Montserrat’s history, use your entrance ticket to head inside and enjoy free time to explore.
Explore the vast basilica and its echoing interior, see the revered Black Madonna, a small wooden statue housed in a small room, and learn the story behind this hallowed sculpture. Then, if time allows, walk up to the grotto, traditionally said to be where the statue was discovered.
If your tour is on a weekday (select dates only), perhaps hear a recital by the Escolania, one of the most renowned boys’ choirs in Europe. You can also opt for a walk through Montserrat’s audiovisual museum to learn about the daily life of the monks, finishing at the gift shop to taste and perhaps buy some of the traditional liquors made at the monastery.
After your time exploring independently, return to Barcelona by coach where your trip ends.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants travel free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
- We recommend you to check the timetable of the different facilities that you wish to visit during your free time.
- The duration of the tour includes the round trip to the destination.
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY Julia Travel S.L
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Montserrat Royal Basilica Half-Day Trip from Barcelona.