- Penang city sightseeing tour with private guide
- Enjoy sweeping views on a scenic drive and from Penang Hill by funicular railway
- Watch batik artisans at work and make a pewter bowl in a hands-on workshop
- See live pit vipers coiled at the Snake Temple (Temple of the Azure Cloud)
- View a statue of Guanyin at Kek Lok Si Temple (Pagoda of Ten Thousand Buddhas)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off by private vehicle
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Stop at a traditional fishing village, then visit a batik factory. There, watch artisans shape designs from wax and dye to create this classic Malaysian textile art. Then drive by fruit plantations and learn about commonly grown fruits and spices such as clove and nutmeg.
Continue to the famous Snake Temple (aka Temple of the Azure Cloud), which was built in 1850 in memory of a Chinese monk who sheltered jungle snakes. Inside Snake Temple, venomous pit vipers coil around temple altars, the reptiles supposedly made drowsy and harmless by incense smoke, but their venom removed for safety.
Next up, head to one of the largest Chinese Buddhist temple complexes in Southeast Asia, Kek Lok Si Temple. The temple complex contains many pagodas, prayer halls and bell towers built in varying styles—from Chinese to Burmese to Thai. A bronze statue of the goddess of mercy, Guanyin, looks down from the hill above the pagoda.
Your final destination is the funicular railway that ascends Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera)—a 2,625-foot (800-meter) peak and Malaysia's oldest hill station. Disembark at the top for sweeping views of the island and mainland. When descending the hill, visit the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre and enjoy a 30-minute lesson about crafting pewter. Learn 19th-century techniques for manipulating the versatile metal into a simple pewter bowl using basic hand tools.
Your tour includes a stop for lunch at a local restaurant (own expense) and ends when your guide returns you to your hotel. Alternatively, you can opt to be dropped off at the Straits Quay Mall for some shopping on your own.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- In case of the Penang Hill Train not operating, it will be replaced with visit to Penang Colonial Museum or Botanical Garden
- Please advise that to avoid delays and the heavy traffic on weekends and public holidays, it is preferred to book this tour on weekdays
- Please be ready to go at least 15 minutes prior to departure time
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Asian Overland Services
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.