- Explore the Port Arthur convict colony on this historical tour from Hobart
- Learn about the history of this UNESCO World Heritage site
- See more than 30 restored buildings and ruins that date back to the 1830s, such as the prison, the Commandant's House and the church
- Take a cruise on Carnarvon Bay to Isle of the Dead
- Hotel pickup and drop off available
Departure & Return
Brooke Street Pier
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
When you arrive at Port Arthur, start your guided walking tour of this former convict settlement, once home to the most serious criminals of the time, where more than 30 ruins and restored buildings are available to explore. You’ll learn about the history of the remote seaside colony, which dates back to the 1830s, and the brutal living conditions for the convicts as you see sites like the penitentiary, a former granary and flour mill, the separate prison, the Commandant’s House and the church.
Then set off on a cruise across Carnarvon Bay to Isle of the Dead, where you’ll disembark for a 45-minute guided tour of the island, a cemetery where those who died at Port Arthur were buried. Your cruise also allows you to soak up the natural beauty of this somber World Heritage–listed site; admire the scenery of Tasman National Park with its rugged coastline, and see the Tasman Arch and Devil’s Kitchen.
Lunch is not included but can be purchased at Port Cafe, at the entrance to the Port Arthur Visitor Center, or at Felons, a sit-down restaurant. Both offer a selection of sandwiches, hot food and drinks. Your day trip ends with the return drive to Hobart.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The guided Historical Walking tour of Port Arthur involves a lot of walking. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- If you do not wish to participate in the full walking tour, please note small golf buggies are available free of charge. Passengers can locate a buggy at the front entrance of Port Arthur Visitor Centre (it has a full commentary).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line Australia
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Grand Historical Port Arthur Tour from Hobart.