- Learn intriguing Renaissance history on a guided walking tour of two villas east of Rome
- Explore the archaeological ruins of Hadrian's Villa, former home to 2nd-century Emperor Hadrian
- Admire the stunning gardens of Villa d'Este and see the famous Fountain of Neptune
- Transport from Rome to Tivoli by air-conditioned coach
Departure & Return
The meeting point is at the bus stop at Via Cavour 224. The nearest metro station: “Cavour” (Line B). Directions: Meeting point: Via Cavour 224 at the bus stop – nearest metro station: “Cavour” B LINE. Please remember to show up 20 minutes before the tour departure time. Dates: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday Return point: Returns to original departure point
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your first stop in Tivoli is at Hadrian’s Villa for a walking tour. Hear how the villa belonged to Emperor Hadrian who desired an unassuming vacation home as a tribute to his lover. By modern standards, his ‘humble abode’ could be considered a town in its own right.
The ruins of the emperor’s impressive estate consist of more than 30 buildings, and you’ll see the highlights as you explore. Discover the complex ruins of the old imperial palace as well as thermal baths, temples, libraries and subterranean passages that are wide enough for vehicles.
Enjoy lunch at your own expense, and then continue to Villa d'Este: explore the former Benedictine convent, and see why many consider the villa to be one of the finest of the Renaissance era.
As you explore, hear how Villa d’Este was built as an opulent abode for the son of Lucretia Borgia, a 15th-century duchess who attracted drama and gossip wherever she went. Make your way past the Fountain of Neptune, and wander through the gardens to see waterfalls, fountains and centenary trees.
Leave Villa d’Este after your tour, and then relax on your journey back to Rome.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage NOT available
- Please note: Stairs at both villas are quite steep and a moderate amount of walking is involved
- This tour is not recommended to people with disabilities
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 32 travelers
- OPERATED BY Nicom Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Tivoli Day Trip from Rome: Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este.