Departure & Return
If driving to San Blas with your own car, please ensure to arrive no later than 8:30am and in a SUV vehicle. All other cars will be turned around at the border crossing. Carti has 3 ports. Your lancha/boat and captain will be waiting for you in the Barsukun port. Contact us to arrange RT transport.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- We will check the availability of the cabin and will send you a confirmation mail.
- Departure time is between 5:00am and 5:30am from your Panama City lodging. If staying at Playa Bonita area, your departure time is 5:00am.
- You are welcome to bring a cooler with your own drinks, potable water, snacks and beverages (fruit juice or alcohol). The driver will stop at a supermarket on the way to San Blas in order for you to purchase additional items.
- Check out from your cabin on the island is at 8:00am and you should be back in Panama City between 6-7pm.
- PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO BRING YOUR ORGINAL PASSPORT. WITHOUT IT, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE GUNA TERRITORY AND THE SAN BLAS ISLANDS
- Please be advised that San Blas is in the Guna territory, which is an autonomous, Indian zone. The services are very basic and most cabins are minimalistic. The Gunas will be providing all touristic services, such as meal preparations, car and boat transportations, lodging, and tour guiding. We are proud to be working with this friendly tribe and with each booking we give back to the community, supporting their customs and their traditional way of life. We kindly ask you to respect this beautiful culture and their simple way of life, leaving your expectations behind and learning about their innocent culture.
- Aside from using generators for electricity, there are no amenities and utilities as you are used to from the city. Food is basic, yet freshly prepared such as fresh fried fish, mixed seafood, chicken or lobster (at extra charge) with salad, rice or plantains.
- We recommend that you bring your personal hygiene items, such as towels, sunscreen, hats, mosquito repellent.
- In San Blas Islands there are no ATMs, only cash in received. You can buy drinks there, snacks, souvenirs etc.
- “+Movil” and “Digicel” are the cell phone companies that have reception in San Blas.
- There are no electrical outlets in the huts, only light. You can recharge your phones and cameras in the main house.
- The car ride to San Blas takes 2.5 hours and for about one hour the drive leads through windy roads. If you get motion-sick, please plan accordingly.
- The San Blas islands are located on the Atlantic side of Panama. The drive to the port of San Blas takes 2.5 hours each way, through windy roads with beautiful landscapes, frequent animal encounters and opportunities to take photos.
- If staying at Playa Bonita area, we offer round-trip transportation at 5:00am.
- PLEASE BE PREPARED FOR A 2.5 HOUR CAR JOURNEY EACH WAY OVER BAD ROADS WITH POTHOLES AND SLOW CURVES! We feel that the islands are worth the long drive, but some travelers have complained about the roads while we are not responsible for the roads and their condition, and we would like you to be aware of this fact :)
- IMPORTANT SAN BLAS DISCLAIMER - PLEASE READ! While San Blas is a beautiful island archipelago with stunning beaches and clear waters, it also has its downsides, for which we would like to make you aware off. San Blas is very rustic without the amenities and standards you might be used to from home. Compared to places such as Tahiti and Maldives that are managed by international hotel chains, San Blas has remained autonomous without the influence of outsiders. When visiting San Blas, it should be viewed as a cultural experience where guests live with the Kunas and respect their traditions and ways of living. No aircondition No Wifi No luxury facilities Electricity only available between 6pm and 6am Water is a precious commodity in San Blas. It is either brought in by boat or pumped from the island well. Oftentimes pumps can malfunction and cause water outages. Beds and mattresses can be uncomfortable All services will all be handled by the indigenous Kuna. While Tao Travel 365 strives to provide the best service possible and train the Kuna in customer management, some of the below services are often out of our control. Car transportation (the ride to San Blas takes 2.5 to 3 hours, with 1.5 hours over slow, curvy roads with potholes. For those with motion sickness, please prepare accordingly) Boat transportation (depending on weather and ocean conditions, the 20-40 minute boat ride might be bumpy and wet with ocean spray). Island cabin management (cabins are very rustic and facilities, such as showers and bathrooms are often “home-made” with PVC pipes. Some guests have complained that sheets are old). Island kitchen (meal plans are repetitive and food might taste bland) Trash is a worldwide problem and unfortunately San Blas has not been spared from the ever increasing issue. During certain tides and ocean and wind conditions plastic trash from throughout the Caribbean ocean accumulates on the beaches of San Blas. While the local Kuna are working hard to collect the constant trash washing up on their beaches, guests will nevertheless find evidence of plastic spread out on the island. During the wet months (April - December) or during windless days, all of San Blas experiences sandflies, which are little blood-sucking flies that leave itchy marks. Please ensure to bring natural insect repellent and prepare to return to Panama City with a few itchy memories. We kindly ask our guests to lower their expectation when visiting San Blas and to focus on the beautiful paradise that San Blas has remained despite the effects that modern society has ceased to them. The Kunas are very gentle and kind people, but can also be somewhat shy at times. When approaching them with a smile and an open heart you will be guaranteed an innocent, happy smile in return.
- Most travelers can participate
- The road to San Blas is very curvy with lots of hills. If you are sensitive to motion sickness, please prepare accordingly by bringing appropriate medication.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tao Travel 365
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized