Explore our promoted experiences
- Discover the city’s wild side as you hike along hidden trails to off-the-beaten path locales
- Hike up to the summit of Twin Peaks for sweeping city views
- Walk through a forest behind Sutro Tower and slide down the Seward Street Slides
- Learn interesting facts about San Francisco from your guide
Departure & Return
18th Street and Castro Street in the Castro District, in front of the Castro Theatre.
What To Expect
Start with a trek up to the top of Kite Hill, a green space that's easy to see but hard to find and is popular with the neighborhood residents. After pausing at the top of the hill for great views and some photo ops, continue to the Seward Street Slides, a hidden gem that has brought delight to kids and adults alike over the years. Make like a local: grab a piece of cardboard and let 'er rip down the curved, cement slides, clearly built in an era before playground safety was a concern.
Walk through a hidden eucalyptus forest behind Sutro Tower, one of the city's unmistakable landmarks. Follow your guide to an unmarked hiking trail, less of an official trail and more of a path worn by residents over the years, to the summit of Twin Peaks. Catch your breath and some truly magnificent views of the San Francisco waterfront and the East Bay Hills beyond.
Conquer Tank Hill next, another popular neighborhood park for views and dog walking. This 650-foot (198-km) high summit gives views of the northern side of the city, the Golden Gate Bridge and Golden Gate Park.
Descend via the 211-step Pemberton Place Stairway, winding through the beautiful neighborhood houses and private gardens. Return to the Castro Theater to end your 3-hour tour, having seen a part of San Francisco that many travelers never witness.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Adult pricing applies for all travelers
- Due to the distance and intensity of the hike, this tour is not recommended for children 12 years and younger
- Tour runs rain or shine. If it is raining and you would prefer not to attend, you may reschedule or request a refund
- Recommended attire: comfortable shoes or hiking boots, dressing in layers
- Bringing water is recommended
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Hiker SF
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- "It is a more challenging hike so some level of fitness would be helpful." See review