- Walking tour of San Francisco's Nob Hill
- Learn the hidden history behind the city's most elite neighborhood
- Hear intriguing tales of the railroad tycoons and lumber barons who built their mansions atop the hill
- Soak up stellar panoramic views of the city and bay
- Great for history buffs
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Begin at the famous Fairmont Hotel, which debuted as the city's most elegant accommodations just before the devastating earthquake of 1906 destroyed much of the interior. Learn the backstory behind other majestic buildings on the hill’s crest and the affluent families who built them, including recognizable names like Stanford, Huntington, and Hopkins. Hear about the business rivalries and social intrigue that followed these railroad tycoons, land speculators, lumber barons, and governors who ruled San Francisco in its post–Gold Rush days.
As you stroll through the neighborhood, discover how this small, steep patch of land became early San Francisco's most elite address, especially after the introduction of the cable car. Learn how it has changed over the past 100 years while still maintaining its exclusive mystique perched high above the city streets. At the end of the tour, your guide can recommend several local restaurants and other spots to explore on your own.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A moderate amount of walking on mostly flat terrain is involved
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Covid 19 restrictions. Guests must wear masks. Gloves will be provided. Guides wear masks and gloves. Guests must be healthy (temperatures taken). Social distancing ) as much as possible. Your safety is important
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hobnob Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by History and Architecture Walking Tour of Nob Hill.