- 3-hour tour of the Sausalito houseboats and waterfront
- Explore with a local guide who knows Sausalito's history and personalities firsthand
- See WW II–era shipyards, wooden boat artisans, and fanciful houseboats
- Learn about the fascinating maritime history of the San Francisco Bay Area
Departure & Return
Departure PointMikes Bikes
One Gate 6 Road
Sausalito, CA 94965
What To Expect
Gain insight into how the houseboat community became a haven for artists, eccentrics, and bohemians as you stroll through the old wooden shipyards and floating docks that line Richardson Bay. Your guide is a local writer and artist with firsthand knowledge of the lively community that developed among the houseboat residents.
See the oldest surviving wooden hull ferryboat on the west coast, then move from dock to dock as you hear how WWII briefly transformed the Bay Area into the busiest shipbuilding region in the world. Understand the vibrant alternative culture of the houseboat dwellers that arrived after the war, which contrasted with the increasingly affluent communities of the nearby hills.
Wrap up the tour with a visit to the historic Marinship company, which once launched WWII Liberty Ships, and currently builds and restores houseboats, yachts and ferries.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. Tour is only cancelled in case of storms - DRESS APPROPRIATELY
- Minimum of 6 people per booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY Sausalito Wooden Boat Tour
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.