- Glacier hike in the Skaftafell-Vatnajökull National Park
- Enjoy a guided hike across the Svínafellsjökull Glacier
- Marvel at snow-covered mountains, walls of ice, and natural ice sculptures
- Choice of departure times available throughout the day
- No experience necessary: full instruction and all equipment included
- Small-group tour limited to eight people ensures a personalized experience
Departure & Return
Our Skaftafell Base Camp, wooden sales lodge, is located by the bus parking and clearly visible from the National Park Service Center.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
On arrival, take the time to practice walking along the ice, before following your guide on a thrilling glacier walk. Marvel at the wild glacial landscapes as you climb through deep crevasses and ice tunnels, duck beneath high ice arches, and admire glacier mills, ice walls, and ice sculptures. Listen as your guide explains more about the region’s unique geology and how the glaciers form and change over time, and catch sight of the snow-capped Hrútsfjall and Hvannadalshnukur mountains in the distance.
After a morning or afternoon on the ice, return to the bus for the journey back to the lodge.
Please note: This tour is best suited to participants with their own transport - travelers must provide their own transportation to and from the Mountain Guides Sales Lodge.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Age: Minimum 14
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please bring warm clothing, rain gear, gloves, and hiking boots
- Extra clothing can be rented: hiking boots 1.500 ISK and rain gear 1.000 ISK per item
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Icelandic Mountain Guides
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by 5-hour Glacier Adventure From Skaftafell.